- This event has passed.
Generative Design x Digital Manufacturing at NASA for AM & CNC
August 25, 2022 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm EDTFree
Rapid Development of Lightweight Structures for Spaceflight
Join us as we discuss the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) applications of generative design and digital manufacturing for both additive manufacturing and CNC machining, including design, analysis, fabrication, and testing of prototype hardware for NASA missions.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and cloud computing has enabled a paradigm shift in the design process
- Digital manufacturing allows complex lightweight designs to be robotically manufactured by directly fabricating from the resulting 3D models.
- The differences between additive manufacturing (AM) and modern subtractive techniques such as automated CNC milling for generative design fabrication
- The development of these two digital engineering technologies enables 2x-4x performance improvement (strength/stiffness/mass) while reducing development time from months to days.
- Human design and AI design compare including test results validating performance improvements
- Barriers to adoption of these technologies, and how to overcome them