By Sciaky Inc.
Sciaky’s EBDM Process
With the objective to save manufacturers time and money on the production of large, high-value metal parts and prototypes, Sciaky launched its groundbreaking Electron Beam Direct Manufacturing (EBDM) solution, which is based on Additive Manufacturing principles, in 2009.
Today, Sciaky’s EBDM solution remains the only large-scale, fully-programmable means of achieving near-net shape parts made of titanium, tantalum, inconel and other high-value metals, ranging up to 19 feet in length, 4 feet in width and 4 feet high (19’x4’x4’).
The solution combines computer-aided design (CAD), Sciaky’s state-of-the art electron beam welding technology and layer-additive processing.
Sciaky’s Direct Manufacturing (DM) process begins with a 3D CAD model, which is then used for deposition path planning to build the near-net shaped part in a layer-upon-layer method.
Sciaky’s fully-articulated, moving electron beam welding gun deposits metal (metallic wire feedstock fed into a molten pool created by the electron beam), layer-by-layer. Deposition rates typically range from 7 to 20 pounds per hour, depending upon part geometry and the material selected.
A wide range of engineering alloys are compatible with the DM process in the form of welding wire, including but not limited to: stainless steel, cobalt alloys, nickel alloys, copper-nickel alloys, inconel alloys and other high-value materials.
The original part model is then modified such that final machining operations can net a finished part. Once deposition is complete, the preform may be subjected to additional testing and heat treatments prior to final machining. Following modification, the part is evaluated for symmetry and other features that can be optimized in conjunction with the starting substrate plate.
Sciaky’s DM Solution Benefits:
- Significantly reduces material costs (Improved Aerospace Tier 1 ‘Buy-to-Fly’ ratios for structural titanium parts)
- Shortens machining time
- Shortens lead time through the use of off-the-shelf flexible tooling
- Utilizes an Intuitive Process Control System, based on an adaptive closed-loop control system, that automatically maintains key process characteristics, such as melt pool geometry throughout the part build process.
- Adds Quality and Cost control features to the manufacturing process by recovering high-value parts (repair of worn, damaged or mis-machined parts) and provides ‘Parts Now’ and in-the-field repairs at remote repair stations.
Over the past two years, Sciaky’s EBDM solution has been at the heart of several key advanced research and development programs with the Department of Defense (DoD), U.S. Air Force, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, DARPA and Penn State University’s Applied Research Laboratory.
Sciaky, Inc., a subsidiary of Phillips Service Industries (PSI) and SDVOSB, is a leading provider of additive manufacturing (AM) solutions. Sciaky provides advanced welding systems – electron beam, advanced arc and resistance – and a wide range of contract welding services to the aerospace, defense, automotive, medical and other manufacturing industries. The company’s state-of-the-art equipment meets rigid military specifications to manufacture items such as airframes, landing gear, jet engines, guided missiles and vehicle parts. Sciaky’s exclusive Electron Beam Direct Manufacturing (EBDM) solution allows manufacturers to save time and money over traditional manufacturing and prototyping processes.
Primary Industries that Sciaky serves:
- Gas and Oil
Sciaky EB welding applications:
- Aircraft frames
- Jet engines
- F22 fighter plane wing supports
- Eurofighter plane components
- Jet body high pressure assemblies for fabrication industry
- Automatic transmissions for automobiles
- Powertrain assemblies for automobiles
- Car and van bodies
- Emission control systems for automobiles
- Safety equipment for automobiles
- High energy physics super conducting cavities
- Tank tubes and packer assemblies for the mining industry
- ISO 9001:2008
- NADCAP AS7003/7110
For further information:
4915 West 67th Street
Chicago, IL 60638
Public Relations Manager
Our sincere appreciation to Jay Hollingsworth and Sciaky Inc. for permission to publish information about Sciaky’s EBDM technology.