LOS ANGELES, June 8, 2017 – Manufacturing academics were honored Wednesday, for their service, contributions and outstanding manufacturing research during the annual North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC) held by the North American Manufacturing Research Institution of SME (NAMRI/SME). This year’s 45th annual event was hosted by University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
During the annual awards ceremony, 21 awards were given out to researchers, students and industry professionals.
NAMRC is the premier international forum for applied research and industrial applications in manufacturing and design. NAMRI/SME brings together researchers from leading companies, government laboratories, academic institutions and industrial think tanks located around the world for the purpose of advancing the scientific foundation of discrete-parts manufacturing.
“Manufacturing is an industry of exceptional opportunities, driven by research that pushes the boundaries of what is possible,” said NAMRI/SME president, Dean Bartles, PhD, FSME. “Those recognized today are driving that research and our industry forward in ways that will make a difference for decades.”
2017 NAMRI/SME award winners:
- NAMRI/SME S.M. Wu Research Implementation Award Ajay Malshe, PhD, University of Arkansas/NanoMech Inc., Springdale, Arkansas
- NAMRI/SME Outstanding Lifetime Service Award Neil Duffie, PhD, FSME, CMfgE, PE, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- NAMRI/SME Outstanding Paper Award
- “Adaptive Learning Control for Thermal Error Compensation of 5-Axis Machine Tools” Authors: Philip Blaser, Florentina Pavliček, Kotaro Mori, Josef Mayr, Sascha Weikert and Konrad Wegener, ETH Zurich, Zürich, Switzerland
- “A Virtual Sensing Based Augmented Particle Filter for Tool Condition Prognosis” Authors: Jinjiang Wang, Yinghao Zheng, Peng Wang and Robert X. Gao, China University of Petroleum, Beijing Shi, China, and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland
- “Highly Removable Water Support for Stereolithography” Authors: Jie Jin and Yong Chen, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- David Dornfeld Manufacturing Vision Award Tony Schmitz, PhD, FSME, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina Presentation: “Biomemetic Manufacturing”
Don Lucca, PhD, FSME, CMfgE, regents professor and Herrington chair in advanced materials at Oklahoma State University, presented the NAMRI/SME Founders Lecture. The lecture was established in 1994 to honor individuals who served on the NAMRC Scientific Committee from 1973 to 1981 and those members who founded NAMRI/SME when it was officially established, as well as other distinguished contributors to manufacturing who have been actively involved with NAMRC.
In addition to the NAMRI/SME awards, five winners of the 2017 SME Yoram Koren Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award were recognized and presented with their awards at NAMRC. The award recognizes manufacturing engineers, age 35 or younger, who have made exceptional contributions and accomplishments in the manufacturing industry throughout the early stages of their careers.
Individuals who received their award on Wednesday included:
- Bruce Tai, PhD, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Prahalada Krishna Rao, PhD, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Rajiv Malhotra, PhD, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
- Tao Jia, PhD, GE Healthcare, Waukesha, Wisconsin
NAMRC 46 will be held June 18-22, 2018, at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas.
SME connects all those who are passionate about making things that improve our world. As a nonprofit organization, SME has served practitioners, companies, educators, government and communities across the manufacturing spectrum for more than 80 years. Through its strategic areas of events, media, membership, training and development, and the SME Education Foundation, SME is uniquely dedicated to the advancement of manufacturing by addressing both knowledge and skills needed for the industry. Follow @SME_MFG on Twitter or facebook.com/SMEmfg.
About NAMRC – North American Manufacturing Research Conference of NAMRI/SME
NAMRC is recognized as North America’s preeminent and longest running international forum for applied research and industrial applications in manufacturing and design with its presentations and publication of original, basic and applied research in advanced manufacturing.
An annual event since 1973, NAMRC advances the scientific foundation of discrete-parts manufacturing leading to next-generation applications of emerging and innovative technology in material removal, forming and additive manufacturing processes and machines, and cyber-physical systems. The conference attracts global academicians, government and industry researchers, engineers, students, and leaders in manufacturing to interact with each other and advance the field. NAMRC features peer-reviewed papers, keynotes, special opportunities for networking and collaboration, and recognition of research implementation, service and achievements. Details available at: sme.org/NAMRC.